Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Marmalade



I've had a notion to make marmalade for a few years... a fun food/canning project for the middle of winter - when it's been months since pickles or applesauce.

PLUS it uses ALL of the fruit, including the PEELS, so if we are going to be naughty and buy produce that is non-local, we can at least really get the most out of it!

So Miss Monday came over and we made two kinds... I had chopped blood oranges, grapefruits and lemons the night before and did the beginning stages of cooking and chilling to make "traditional" marmalade inspired by (yes) Martha. Meg brought more fruit, a vanilla bean and pectin to make a all-at-once version (no need for an 8 hour chill) so we could do the whole process together and try two varieties.

What could be better than having a girlfriend over to stir a pot of simmering citrus? She even brought already made bread dough to bake from her test baking side job.

A little bit of sunshine to take the edge off the winter...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Want some....'-)

Anonymous said...

I mean, WoW....I, too, have been lately craving,
and buying, and eating...
marmalade!
So impressed you made it!...Yum..looks basically beautiful...so wonderfully Orange...
Email recipe?...I would TRY...I think...'-)

MeganMonday said...

I am pretty sure I prefer the original Martha marm you started... more extreme- both bitter and sweet, and I like the syrupy jellyness rather than the jammy one. We opened a jam one before we left for AZ...dreaming of marm now.

Alyssa said...

Raena & Meg
how funny, I dreamed that Megan told me that I forgot to include on this post the historical connections between Marmalade and Saint Michael (thoughts on that Gramma?)
we like the original better too, I think. I will get back to you on that Raena.